Links provided where available.
In the News
- Vice News features the Decolonizing Conservation Reading List in their 17 August 2020 article A Guide to Getting an Education Without Going to College.
- Nature Ecology and Evolution features the Decolonizing Conservation Reading List in their 23 June 2020 editorial, Black Lives Matter in Ecology and Evolution.
- Quote in BBC Future Planet, 8 April 2020: The super-corals of the Red Sea, by Sunny Fitzgerald.
- Interview on the Speak Up for Blue Podcast, 7 June 2019: How Micronesian Coral Reefs Respond to Human Impacts and Climate Change. Listen on Apple Podcasts here, and Spotify here.
- Interview on the PhDivas Podcast on 15 June 2018: Diversity in the Geosciences: Hard Questions for Hard Sciences ft Sara Cannon, Leonora King
- Co-authored op-ed on The Conversation Canada, 22 April 2018: Race and gender still an issue at scientific conferences
- Interview with CBC’s Quirks and Quarks, 10 September 2016: Scientific research and beauty mix on the Marshall Islands
- Interview with the University of British Columbia Faculty of Science, 18 February 2016: Can community-based science save a way of life in Micronesia?
- Cannon, S.E. Conditionally accepted. Climate change denial and the jeopardised interest of the United States in the Freely Associated States of Micronesia
- Darling ES, McClanahan TR, Maina JM, Gurney GA, Graham NAJ, Januchowski-Hartley F, Cinner JE, Mora C, Hicks CC, Maire E, Puotinen M, Skirving WJ, Adjeroud M, Ahmadia G, Arthur R, Bauman A, Beger M, Berumen M, Bigot L, Bouwmeester J, Brenier A, Bridge T, Brown E, Campbell S, Cannon S, Cauvin B, Chen C, Claudet J, Denis V, Donner S, Estradivari E, Fadli N, Feary D, Fenner D, Fox H, Franklin E, Friedlander A, Gilmour J, Goiran C, Guest J, Hobbs J, Hoey A, Houk P, Johnson S, Jupiter S, Kayal M, Kuo C, Lamb J, Lee M, Low J, Muthiga N, Muttaqin E, Nand Y, Nash K, Nedlic O, Pandolfi J, Pardede S, Patankar V, Penin L, Ribas-Deulofeu L, Richards Z, Roberts T, Rodgers K, Safuan C, Sala E, Shedrawi G, Sin T, Smallhorn-West P, Smith J, Sommer B, Steinberg P, Sutthacheep M, Tan C, Vargas-Angel B, Williams G, Wilson S, Yeemin T, Bruno JF, Fortin MJ, Krkosek M and D Mouillot. 2019. Social-environmental drivers inform strategic management of coral reefs in the Anthropocene. Nature Ecology and Evolution, 3, 1341-1350. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41559-019-0953-8
- Cannon, S.E., S.D. Donner, D. Fenner, M. Beger. (2019). The relationship between macroalgae taxa and human disturbance on central Pacific coral reefs. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 145, 161-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2019.05.024
- King, L., L. Mackenzie, M. Tadaki, S. Cannon, K. McFarlane, D. Reid, & M. Koppes. (2018). Diversity in geoscience: Participation, behaviour, and the division of scientific labour at a Canadian geoscience conference. FACETS, 3(1), 415–440. http://doi.org/10.1139/facets-2017-0111
Projects and Theses
- Cannon, S., L. Kwong, R. Maharaj, R. Schwartz, B. Van Poorten. 2019. Institute for Oceans and Fisheries Respectful Environment survey: Background, Results, and Recommendations. University of British Columbia, Institute for Oceans and Fisheries Student Society Equity and Diversity Committee: 108.
- Cannon, S. 2018. “Decolonizing Conservation: A Reading List.” https://saracannon.ca/2020/06/27/decolonizing-conservation-a-reading-list/
- Cannon, S. Investigating Human Impacts to Coral Reefs in the Republic of the Marshall Islands. Department of Geography. Vancouver, British Columbia, University of British Columbia. Master of Science: 107.
- Cannon, S., K. Doyle, and J. Rulmal Jr. 2016. “Yangdidi: Stories from Super Typhoon Maysak Survivors.” http://yangdidi.org.
- Cannon, S. (2014). Writing and Distributing Educational Booklets for the Ulithi Atoll, FSM. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Santa Cruz, California, University of California Santa Cruz. Bachelor of Science: 50.
- Cannon, S. 2020. Decolonizing Conservation: Indigenous-led conservation leads to just and effective solutions to the biodiversity crisis. Decolonizing Global Health: A Planetary Health Epistemology. 10th Annual Maastricht Symposium on Global and European Health, Online Event.
- Cannon, S. 2020. Climate change, vulnerability, urbanization, and migration in Micronesia. Guest Lecture: University of British Columbia PLAN331, The Just City in a Divided World. Vancouver, British Columbia.
Posters and Presentations
- Cannon, S.*, L. King, L. MacKenzie, M. Tadaki, K. Mcfarlane, D. Reid, M. Koppes (2018). Do the ends justify the means? The complex politics of research on equity and diversity in the geosciences. American Geophysicists Union Fall Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- King, L.*, S. Cannon, L. MacKenzie, M. Tadaki, K. Mcfarlane, D. Reid, M. Koppes (2018). What can scientific conferences tell us about diversity in geoscience? American Geophysicists Union Fall Meeting, Washington, D.C.
- Cannon, S.* and S. Donner. (2018). Macroalgae may be a misleading indicator of reef health. International Marine Conservation Congress, Kuching, Malaysia.
- King, L., L. Mackenzie*, M. Tadaki*, S. Cannon*, K. McFarlane*, D. Reid*, M. Koppes. (2018). Diversity in Geoscience: Power, Behaviour, and Division of Scientific Labour at a Geoscience Conference. University of British Columbia Department of Geography Colloquium, Vancouver, BC.
- Cannon, S.* (2017) Climate Change and Coral Reef Resilience: Interactions between Local and Global Threats to Reefs. Women in Ecology, Season 2, Episode 9. Saint Mary’s College, Indiana.
- Cannon, S.* and S. Donner. (2017) Investigating Coral Reef Resilience in the Republic of the Marshall Islands. University of British Columbia Department of Geography 2017 Graduate Student Symposium. Vancouver, BC.
- Cannon, S.* and S. Donner. (2017) Investigating Human Impacts to Coral Reefs in the Republic of the Marshall Islands. Pacific Ecology and Evolution Conference, Bamfield, British Columbia.
- Cannon, S.* and S. Donner. (2016) Climate Variability and the Resilience of Low Diversity Coral Communities to Bleaching in the Gilbert Islands, Kiribati. 13th International Coral Reef Symposium, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Cannon, S.*, C. Pomeroy, M. Galligan, P. Reilly, and C. Culver. (2016) Intersections between fishing practices and management: Dynamics of the commercial fishery for California Halibut. Society for Applied Anthropology annual meeting, Vancouver, BC.
- Cannon, S.* (2016) Marine Management Methods in the Ulithi Atoll, Micronesia. TerreWEB Seminar Series, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC.
- Pomeroy, C.*, C. Culver, M. Galligan, P. Reilly and S. Cannon. (2015) Filling a Gap: Collaboration to Build Understanding of California Fisheries’ Human Systems. International Symposium on Society and Resource Management (ISSRM) annual meeting, Charleston, SC.
- Galligan, M.*, C. Pomeroy, P. Reilly, C. Culver and S. Cannon. (2015) Data Matters in a Commercial Marine Fishery. North American Association of Fisheries Economists Forum: Economic Sustainability, Fishing Communities and Working Waterfronts. Ketchikan, AK.
* = presenter.
Science Communication Pieces
- Cannon, S. (2018). Standing on the Shoulders of Giants: Territorial acknowledgements are the first step towards respecting the people who have been here before us. The Xylom. Atlanta, Georgia, Medium.
- Cannon, S. (2016). Conference & Workshop Reports: Impressions of ICRS13, A Student Perspective. Reef Encounter. 31, No. 2:57–58
- Cannon, S. (2015). Shouting To Be Heard: At-Sea Cacophony Puts Strain On Dolphins. The Fish Report. E. Loury. Chico, California, FishBIO.
- Cannon, S. (2015). Big-Picture Stream Science. The Fish Report. E. Loury. Chico, California, FishBIO.
- Cannon, S. (2015). Shifting Waters: California Ocean Grows Warmer, Less Bountiful. The Fish Report. E. Loury. Chico, California, FishBIO.
- Cannon, S. (2015). Bad Kitty: Impacts Of Feral Felines On Biodiversity. The Fish Report. E. Loury. Chico, California, FishBIO.
- Cannon, S. (2015). Hope For Snake River Sockeye. The Fish Report. E. Loury. Chico, California, FishBIO.
- Cannon, S. (2014). Tree Rings Reveal Changes In Ocean Climate. The Fish Report. E. Loury. Chico, California, FishBIO.
- Cannon, S. (2014). The Shipping Blues. Good Times. Santa Cruz, CA.